Friday, February 27, 2015

Gearing up for the UN-WEEKEND...

Tonight I go shopping for the week and I'm making a list this time (to avoid buying another pound of butter we don't need). I want to buy good whole foods for real meals. I want to cook a bunch of veggies (especially butternut and brussel sprouts) that I can eat for lunches or reheat at dinner throughout next week... I'm bored with salads and I have no patience (or just time) to cook. Our schedules (more to the point, my kid transportation duties) leave little time Monday - Friday for dinner prep. More often than not I'll eat lunch meat and cheese, yogurt and fruit and get take out for the kids... The money I spend is stupid. I just need a little more thought and planning. I have a completely full Saturday and a partially full Sunday. I'll be conservative in my expectations and flexible, but I am going to get a good workout in at least one of the days (probably Sunday) and I'm going to prep food for the week.

I should have fallen on the ice yesterday, but I caught myself and managed to tweak my knee. It's not swollen and I'm not limping, but if I step just right I have this sharp pain in the back of my calf and in my MCL - an injury I've had before... I took Aleve this morning and I really hope it just goes away... I do not want to be healing when the weather breaks.

In fact, I want to run outside SO BAD. The idea of stepping on the treadmill right now is as appealing as walking on glass in my bare feet. I was hoping we'd at least be down to pavement since the sun is higher in the sky, but the temperature is not cooperating and the sidewalks are still treacherous. It looks like we're in for another 4 inches or so Sunday, so I'll just put my outside plans back on the shelf... Daylight savings starts in a week! Hard to accept when we're still in full-on winter.

After last Saturday's upper body circuit I decided to work on re-building arm / core strength. I'm just doing push ups and planks, but it feels good to be doing something. And basically that's what my goal is this week... DO SOMETHING!  Work on the food, work on the strength and work on the cardio. With the way my mood has been I'm not ready to set any concrete goals, but by the end of March I want to have a race or event in mind and a training plan. I need something to follow, some goal to work towards....

2 comments:

Wendy said...

NOOOO, not more SNOOOOOW!!!! It's March already!

Have you ever used the 7-minute workout app? It's a great at-home strength circuit. Not a ton of upper body, but SOME. For fitter people, you can do each exercise for longer than the app says (you can adjust the duration) or you can just do the circuit multiple times. I do it when I exercise at home, I find it useful. Hope this helps!

And I hope you get less snow than anticipated...

Good job on the meal planning and prep! sounds like your schedule is soooooo busy, that'll be a real help.

Lynne said...

I think I'll try the app... I need something quick that I don't have to *think* about - just do....