Tuesday, October 18, 2016

No Opportunity to Fail... and Anxious About Weighing in...

I was a little hungry last night... I remember a talk by sports nutritionist Nancy Clark (?) that it's OK to go to bed a little hungry... She said other things to, but I will never forget her saying that, and what it's meant to me... At the time I was training for the Boston Marathon. I weighed pretty much what I do now and, while gaining or maintaining I was throwing money at Weight Watchers and feeling really frustrated. It's nearly impossible to lose weight training for an endurance event.

I am going to drop this weight before I begin training for PAN MASS  and mountain climbing next year that is for sure.

Yesterday afternoon I made broccoli soup. It was delicious and filling. It was also the last thing I ate for the day. The girls came home from school activities and ate soup. The DH was actually home on time and the family therapist showed up promptly for our Monday night session. I took the teen to group at 7 (skipped what had been a weekly McD's ice cream cone) and went to Town Meeting (an outdated New England form of government that really needs to go away....)It went on, and on, and on, until 11 p.m. and will continue tonight... meh. And I ate nothing; drank the green tea I brought with me and went to bed as soon as I got home. Yup, I was a little hungry and it's OK.

This morning I was not ravenous. I did eat the last piece of cornbread (a weakness for me, and it's gone), almond milk and coffee. Not really the nutritious way to start a day, but I was tired and nothing else looked appetizing. I guess the real challenge will be when I get out of work for lunch; but right now I feel confident I will manage. I'm planning my meal.

And this is important. I don't want to walk in the house and start riffling through the fridge and cabinets. I don't want to grab *something* and eat away without thought to nutrition and how what I eat will fit into my plan for the day.

Create an environment for success. Plan. If there is no opportunity afforded; it's impossible to go off track --- even if you think you want to....

Weigh in is tomorrow. I have not been on the scale since last week (I'm really proud of that accomplishment). I feel good about how I've managed my food and It's a little scary. I haven't used a scale in over three years, and I feel some "What ifs" lingering in the background... What if I lost nothing? What if I gained? I know what I've said to others who've experienced just that... I know I'm not supposed to let the number represent all the work I've done, and it's hard to break through that mindset.

The scale is one tool. It's not the only measure of success and weight loss is not an exact science. I have to be prepared for ups and downs and only see the cumulative result each month.... This is what I'm trying to sell...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job staying oft the scale. I totally hear on the what if thinking. Good luck with that. The scale can be quite a mind-screw.

I think you deserve a big hug for staying off of it, which was being good to yourself, and productive. Great job.

Lynne said...

Thanks Wendy! I'm pretty happy with myself this week! It's been a while...