Monday, November 28, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving...and Weekend and Thank God it's MONDAY!

On Thanksgiving the little one insisted on getting up early to go to the gym. We went to find it not open until 7?! It was 5:45. We went to the high school track and I ran 1.5 miles. It was something; and I did it. At dinner, I didn't eat til overflowing, but I did have champagne and wine and while I enjoyed it, I paid dearly Friday morning...

The kids HAD to go shopping Black Friday which meant driving to the mall at midnight and 3 a.m. for drop off/pick up. The day was then filled with stall mucking and riding lessons, work for the teen and a wake for our neighbor. We finished with dinner at a new restaurant that was disappointing.... Saturday I got up and went running with the girls. It was great to catch up and infinitely better than sitting around the house waiting for the funeral... I finished the night with a surprise 50th for a dear friend... and yes, I had a cupcake and drinks. Sunday was my official day of rest, but I ended up going to the gym with my girls to walk, experiment on the stair climber (OMG what a workout) and lifting weights. They're back on the "6 pack ab" craze. I just like to see them fit.

And the DH is a little crazy and the things he does that usually annoy me are a little more intense. UGH. The kids can see it; I'm doing my best to ignore it. He has an awful passive/aggressive habit of knowing when we have to go somewhere and planning another activity (a bike ride or trip to the gym) 1-2 hours before so there's no time to help me if needed and if he's late he'll have an excuse... traffic, flat tire... Yes, there are many times (including Saturday night) when I wanted to just go without him.

He's also hyper focused on his hobbies - Of late he's been into cycling, but rather than just riding his bike, he gets caught up in the stuff - building a new bike in our family room - that ended up costing us thousands, finding just the right gear and tinkering with cables and shifters and wheels to get the lightest most efficient bike.... all while he's 100 lbs overweight... His latest physical had him at 274.

He knows I want the family to eat better. He knows I have Hashimotos and he knows I'm trying to get this weight off but he continues to buy crap food for the house, (chips, pies, ice cream) and cook things "just because he wants to try an interesting recipe". He tells me he wants a fryer for Christmas (uh, no)... And there's so much more but... TMI.... Suffice to say he is FRUSTRATING the hell out of me on so many levels....

BREATHE... and walk and ...What's with the "you really need 20K steps not 10K?" I heard it on the news this morning... That's a lot of walking..... As for my weight this week... I've logged ALL of my food. I was not stellar every day, but I also didn't overeat.... Can I pull off a Thanksgiving miracle? We'll see... It's just a week on the journey. I'm not going to get too bent over it whatever the number...


2 comments:

Enz said...

20,000 steps? That is a lot. I am struggling to hit 11,000 some days. Although when I did work in a big hospital and bussed to work, I could rack up 15,000 by 3 p.m. just from going to and from the bus stop and walking around the hospital as part of my job. I am not sure that walking in short bursts of several hundreds of steps all adding up to 10,000 has the same physical impact as a sustained walk of 10,000 steps though.

Anonymous said...

Eh, I wouldn't worry about 20K steps. That's another version of being into six-pack abs, no? Being fit is as perfect a goal for you as it is for your girls.

Your Black Friday sounds grueling. You are a very giving mom. And a very giving wife, from the sound of things. This bike fascination sounds crazy. I did professional organizing for several years and saw this all the time - that people "taking up a hobby" really just means buying all the crap, and rarely to never actually DOING the hobby. Which is to say - it's not just him! It's very human. It sounds like the real hobby is accumulating the stuff, or building the bike. But that's a LOT of dough to drop on this hobby. But, with a bike, at least he can sell it and recoup much of his costs, I hope, if he ever decides to.