Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Fast Day Tuesday...

This morning the teen had a mini meltdown that gave me pause. She has midterms starting Thursday and feels anxious and worried and full of negativity... (there were tears, a little anger, a rant...)  My mind immediately went to "What can I do? Who can I call? Can we postpone, delay... "  And I stopped. I let her talk; I said nothing. She's 17 years old and she has to work this out. I am not helping her by trying to help...

I hate to see my kids in distress; especially when the one in distress has issues. I know listening is exactly the right thing to do. Letting her feel the stress; working through it and moving on with increased tolerance/resilience/confidence is the best gift I can give ...

This weekend my girls bought FITBITS. The little one has wanted a one for a while; the teen just likes gadgets... Day one the teen won the step battle, but day two the novelty had worn off and she stayed home; while the little one and I spent MLK day hiking our way to over 17K steps! We tried to climb a local mountain, but were quickly turned around because of the ice - treacherous!  We opted for the wooded trails close to home, but plan to buy Kahtoola MICROspikes to try the mountain hike again in a few weeks. The weather was beautiful and it really was great to be outside (though I still hate winter!)

And I'm logging food MFP; still working the program.  What I'm realizing is I need more planning and less "after the fact" regret... I went to a football party Saturday night and let anger (at the DH - a treasure lately) translate into one too many glasses of wine and a whoopie pie that I had no intention of eating! Yesterday it was all about the Luna Bars... We were hiking and I was hungry... and bars have more calories, carbs, sugar than I wanted to eat... I've got to be more thoughtful and proactive -anticipate hunger, eat only when hungry and have proper food on hand.

Today is FAST DAY - the third in a row- and a habit I will carry through til April. It's something I just do without self-negotiation. I am hopeful, but not feeling very positive about weight loss this week....  I'm feeling bloated and my jeans are far from loose...



No comments: