Friday, April 13, 2018

Another Trip and Stress...

My youngest asked me yesterday "Who is Julie McCoy?"

Since forever, my response to "I'm BORED", has been "I am not your Julie McCoy" and never have my kids asked... This weekend we're heading to DC for a big family trip and I have never felt more like poor Julie.

My sister in law hasn't been to the city and she's nervous about parking and walking and letting her 16 year old go off with my girls to do what teen girls want to do in DC. She's finally checked out the house we've rented on line and wants to know who's in what bedroom, and how much food she should bring and are we doing meals together because she doesn't like to eat out.

My other sister is going straight to the zoo Saturday, so don't wait on her family and my other sister wants to know the cost difference between Uber, a taxi or the metro to get from the airport... We wanted to go to a baseball game Sunday and it's supposed to rain... Now what? UGHH... I did not want this job!!!

And of course, I am stressed about my own family preparations. The DH has been an absolute ASS - no sugar coating - this week and the kids are not much better. Yesterday I did all the laundry, picked up the house and crossed a lot of stuff off the list. This morning I came downstairs to a mess in the kitchen, every light in the house on, and empty food containers, socks... in the family room... I feel like someone is following behind me undoing what I accomplish each step of the way...

And the DH is working from home today - not because he wants to help get ready for the trip - but because he wants to meet a friend for a long bike ride later this afternoon... This will mean that I'll come home to an even dirtier kitchen, more laundry, and still have to pack and clean litter boxes....

meh.

At least I feel in control with my food. It hasn't been easy to not eat any fruit or processed sugar. I've had a few instances of grazing... but I've been  mindful to choose veggies and protein. I ate a cup of popcorn one afternoon, but that's it for grains. We have a new restaurant in town that, although a little pricey, is spot on.... Protein House! is really YUM. My turkey burger wrapped in steamed swiss chard had 47 grams of protein, 380 calories and was delicious!

My weight this morning is holding steady for the second day at 195.5 which indicates a loss of 8.5 pounds... Next Thursday is my follow up with the doctor, that will be the true number. I hope to stay the course on the trip (or as close to it as possible) and keep the momentum going. The trick will be to keep mindful, have food options available, not let the stress get to me and WALK a lot!!

4 comments:

Enz said...

I'm going to DC in May for the first time so I'll be looking to you for recommendations!!!
Have fun :)

Lynne said...

I lived there for a lot of years - I'll be your Julie !

Grace said...

Don't let your family's foibles ruin the trip for you. You are not responsible for their happiness or enjoyment.
At first I couldn't think who Julie McCoy was until I looked at the picture. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I hope you can let go. People even putting these requests to you seems kinda crazy! Time to learn how to turn it back to them to handle themselves - *kindly*, of course.

Have fun!