Sunday, August 14, 2005

Done for the Season

I called this race "APATHY 2005". It was HOT, It was muggy and it was DISORGANIZED!

My mom came with me for moral support; arriving at my house at 5:30 a.m. When we got to the site 30 min away, they directed us to the parking "about a quarter mile away". Let's just say they were off. By the time we reached transition my bike odometer read .7 miles. Did I mention that it was hot?

The race was supposed to start at 8 - I started my wave (ATHENA) at 9:10! The swim was relatively uneventful. The water was beautifully refreshing (spring fed). I had decided that I was walking the transition - 1/4 mile, uphill, on gravel. I would have had a flawless transition were it not for the mt bike that some "newbie" had leaned up against mine because he/she couldn't figure out how to rack it!

The bike was HOT and we had a wicked head wind for half the course. I managed to maintain an average 16 mph, which is good for me considering the conditions. My transition to run was fast!

The run was .... did I mention it was hot? Uphill the first 1/2 mile; and no water til mile 1.5. Given the conditions you would have thought there would have been at least water every mile!? I pretty much trotted the whole thing except the last 3/4 mile, which was down hill. Times aren't up yet, but I am estimating somewhere around 145 - my slowest of the year!

As for the "attractive finisher's medal" - they handed out iParty leas (sp) WHAT A DOWNER! There was no "post race feast". In fact, they were rationing the bottled water because they were running out! MAN!

Am I glad I did it? Sure - I got up and out there even though it was the last thing I really wanted to do yesterday. I feel awesome that I accomplished 3 triathlons this year! Am I still fat? YES!

Nice transtion... With the tri-season behind me, I am now in WW mode! I have been diligently logging my food and keeping within my points. I REALLY hope that it pays off at Tuesdays meeting! I reallly need a big loss before the end of the summer! Stay tuned!

No comments: