Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Keeping It All Together

I am a crier… or at least I have a history. When my daughter was first sick I cried all of the time for no reason. I was so freaked out- worried, embarrassed, and completely over my head. I had NEVER faced anything so devastating. It completely consumed me on the inside. Crying was my only release.

I’ve lived with my daughter’s mood disorder for 5 years now. I’ve read tons, sought the help of other mothers, support groups – NAMI, and my own therapist. I know I am not alone. I know that with the early diagnosis, proper meds and therapy that my daughter can thrive, but there are certainly going to be trials. I am always going to be there for her, and I will always be her advocate.

This week we had a challenge. It involved a lot of emotion, hurt feelings and cold dinner. We worked through it. My DH and I had a rational productive conversation; my DD had a great session with her therapist and we’ve got a family session scheduled for next week. I was in complete control - evaluated the situation for what it was and worked through the necessary steps to diffuse what could have become a disaster…


Looking back, I am really proud of myself. I have a sense of confidence that I have never felt when dealing with my daughter’s mood disorder. I am so much more hopeful for my DD and I actually feel that DH is trying to do better. He’s got a lot of things to work through himself; I know it is not easy.  I am just happy to be keeping it all together. 

No comments: