Thursday, November 28, 2013

Door Busters and Turkey Trot 5 Miler

Thanksgiving is over. I've eaten my fill. The family fun is done and we made it home in record time!  It's early (like 7) but I could go to bed. I may be the only one sleeping tonight... My kids are very excited that their father (who may have had one to many martinis) has agreed to let them stay up to hit their first BLACK FRIDAY DOOR BUSTER! at Target... They are 11 and 14. I don't know what the allure is... I have never gone shopping on Black Friday and I need nothing at midnight except sleep!  My 14 year old has some sort of idea that it's not to be missed, and in a moment of weakness Dad said "I'll take you there - I don't know what you think you want and I know you have no money, but I'll bring you..." 

HAPPY KIDS, but as the martinis are wearing off Dad is experiencing a little regret. I already told him his IS GOING... or I will kill him!!
________________________


So my first ever Turkey Trot is in the books.  I was a little worried when I got up this morning and it was 17 degrees and really windy. I couldn't decide how to dress and ended up in compression socks (to cover the ankles) CWX winter tights, an Under Armor turtle neck and a hind wind jacket... Oh, and a hat... I was satisfied with the choice once I started running. There were 1600+ registered runners, which I thought was pretty impressive, and it was probably one of the best supported races I've attended - plenty of signage, volunteers, and 2 water stops. The course was rolling hills... It is New England.

I had to stay inside until just before the start. I was shivering so much - anxiety and cold... I hate both and was glad to just start. I felt great the whole way which was a pleasant surprise. It's been a while since I've had a good race.  The first 2 miles - 11:24, 11:10 - the last three sub 11 with mile 5 - 10:28.  I finished the race at 55:04, which beat my one hour time allotment. I was pretty happy... Of course I had no one to celebrate with since I did it solo, but it was still enjoyable and a great way to begin the holiday.

According to RunKeeper, I have completed 78% of my monthly goal and I'll run another 5+ miles Saturday morning which will bring me ever closer. I am so happy with my progress. It's been a long time since I've felt so good about myself.

No comments: