Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Mood Disorders don't care about Christmas

My daughter got mad yesterday. She had plans to go to the movies. She had plans for me to give her money, pick up her friend across town and bring her home when it was over. She didn't think she needed to ask permission. She didn't think asking for money and going to the movies two nights in a row was excessive. She couldn't understand why she had a standing 6 pm therapy appointment on her school vacation and why I was so worried about prepping food and picking up the house... She didn't like the word NO. She yelled and swore and slapped me. She refused to go to her appointment. I did not engage. I did not fight with her at all. I told her that if she wasn't going her sister and I would; and we left.

She came outside when the car engine started and I had DD2 stay home. She refused to put her seat belt on, so we listened to the incessant safety chime for the entire 25 minute ride. She went into the office with her therapist, chatted up a storm, talked nothing about this explosion and left in a better frame of mind. We stopped so she could get her sister a Christmas present. I asked her if she felt better and told her her behavior was not acceptable. She could not remember why she got mad; I didn't remind her. She apologized. We moved on. Mood disorders suck. I hope that one day she will be able to recognize and control her actions. I didn't want to explore this episode further; pick the scab...  I want PEACE and STABILITY for Christmas. I want to make it through this week; and next week and the week after that... I know that I should have given some consequences. I know that my daughter needs to focus on repairs - SORRY is not good enough. I just don't have it in me this week.

No comments: