Tuesday, February 11, 2014

WHOLE 30 DAY 2 and Beyond!

Day 1 is done. I feel pretty good about what I am doing; although there were a few realizations and unintentional mess ups. I really needed to continue reading into chapter 15 of  It Starts with Food  to get to the section about meal planning and snacking and coffee.

I left work at 2 p.m. hungry. I dropped DD at work and went to the grocery store to shop for dinner. I bought salmon, strawberries, blackberries, butternut squash, asparagus and Brussel sprouts. I also bought (for the first time in more than a year) cashews and I ate them.

I LOVE NUTS - roasted, salted (not peanuts). I didn't have any at all last year, but on WHOLE 30 they're on the good for you list; which I thought was great! Had I read the further in the book I would have learned that I should be sitting and eating MEALS- not snacks - and incorporating modest amounts of nuts into my meals - not eating them by the handfuls.... Lesson learned.

I LOVE COFFEE - In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to the stuff. I learned last night that although I can have coffee on WHOLE 30 I am only supposed to have 1-2 cups in the morning (when I typically quadruple+ that amount). My compromise for now is only in the morning; nothing afternoon; which I shouldn't want if my sugars and hormones are all in balance.  As the month continues I'll *try* to cut it down. (maybe...baby steps)

I MISSED FRUIT - I haven't eaten fruit (unless it was flavoring my SIGGIS yogurt or keifer) for over a year. Yesterday I had 1/2 banana, strawberries and a few blackberries and a cup of almond milk and NO DAIRY! It surprised me how sweet it tasted - especially the banana; and I never even considered missing sugar. Instead of a glass of milk after dinner; I had tea.

My last sad lesson was that the organic cage free mayo I love is made with canola oil - NOT WHOLE 30 ! I will have to make my own. (sad face).  I was a little hungry when I went to bed and I was pretty ravenous this morning. I had almond milk,1/2 banana, 2 eggs and spinach. I missed my cheese, but here I am alive and well. I CAN DO THIS... Today will be leftovers for lunch; and a big salad for dinner with... shrimp and homemade lemon vinaigrette. My butt is killing me from the Sunday run, so it should remind me to head to the gym for at least a couple of miles this afternoon.  My kids are NO EXCUSE (today).

No news to report on the Kitchen Front other than resuming the big clean out this afternoon. AND I actually called FITBIT yesterday and I should have done it sooner. They processed my refund, sent me a FEDEX label for my Force and they're sending me a FLEX. Done. Can't wait for it to arrive; though I am still thinking a GARMIN will be in my future...


No comments: