Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summer time and the angst of no routine...

Spending LOTS of time in the car coordinating my job AND getting my kids to where they need to be. My oldest is in sailing camp for three weeks. She likes it so far, though I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before she needs a day off and starts complaining about getting up in the morning. I really hope she can finish. It will be a major accomplishment. My youngest is doing nothing productive for the next two weeks until camp in 3 weeks other than a 4 H goat show, which involves both my help and my driving time - and riding horses with her friend. She's been exhibiting signs of a spoiled brat - "pick me up, I need $20, stop nagging me, I'll get it later"....Little does she know, her world as a slightly entitled tween is coming to an end....

I really appreciate my flexible work schedule. It is, by far, the best part of my job. Today I will go in for a few hours, do a camp run, visit a sick friend and get back for a meeting tonight. Every day is equally hectic, but it certainly beats the stresses of my kids' school work and of course the drama. This fact makes all the craziness just fine. It gives me time to catch my breath.

I look forward to MY summer vacation which comes in August when both kids are at sleep away camp for 2 whole weeks. Aside from the PanMass Challenge I have NO commitments and it will definitely be all about me, and my dog and enjoying my clean house.

Still, I feel a little off and it's probably because the schedule is so crazy. I just can't put a finger on it. I am anxious, irritated, really bothered by little things.I guess it's just a need for routine and right now I have none.I don't know exactly what to do about it. I want to exercise more which I can certainly do. I can't park my butt at 6 p.m. or earlier in front of the TV. I have a bike, a gym membership and a dog who would love an extra walk or *gasp* a run? What will it take?

I know that I can't expect anything of others (my husband) without modeling the behavior myself. I've put on a few pounds. I don't want to let it slide. I can't. I've got to alter my thinking, my expectations and DO something. Thinking....

No comments: