Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Weight Watchers Experiment...and some answers...

I bought a three month pass at Weight Watchers to see if the accountability would help me lose some weight, as I haven't been able to do it on my own. The goal is a 25 pound loss. Knowing what I do about health, weight loss and exercise, the WW points plan doesn't really work for me all that much, but I'm going to use their tools, journal my food, while continuing to *try* to eat according to my plan - lower carb (no bread, rice, potatoes, processed sugar) and higher protein/fat. This first week was not perfect, but I was mindful of my eating. For me it was successful.

I exceeded my step goal every day and exercised with the girls Saturday.

My weight loss this week:  3 lbs -  22lbs to go...

After weighing in I received a call from my doctor asking if I'd been taking my thyroid meds because my levels were high.... hmmm... Could the crazy weight gain, depression, malaise be attributed to another Hashimoto flare up? I wonder how long it's been high? My physical is next week. I meet with the Psychiatrist right after... I'm going to get to the bottom of this... I know the teen's issues add stress to my life, but they aren't unexpected and I've dealt with them better in the past. Not that I want to blame. I've just really been at a loss for my current state of being. Knowing there's a physical reason is somewhat comforting. It means I can do something about it.

In addition to the thyroid, my cholesterol is up. I've never had a problem with it, but assume it has to do with the 30+ lb weight gain over the last year and a half. I didn't need the nurse to tell me to make sure that I was getting at least 30 minutes of exercise each day... Really? 

I'm into my second week. I did a more challenging walk yesterday (a 2 mile loop which includes a mile long steep hill). My dog was a little pooped... I'm going to do better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a great week, good for you!
interesting to hear about the thyroid issues. it definitely controls/affects a lot. glad the doc has flagged this so you can sort it out.
Best, Wendy