Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Why Does it Always Happen to ME?!

Why Does it Always Happen to ME?! 

The teen has had her car for exactly one month; forgot to set the emergency brake and it rolled into a tree. I received the frantic call in class - I knew I should have bought collision insurance... I reassured her it was an accident - one that won't be repeated. I told her it would be OK; but she needed to have her release and I let her... I drove over to the scene to make sure the car was safe to drive and it was... The little one's assessment that it was REALLY BAD,  a little exaggerated. So happy I had silver Duck Tape in my emergency kit! Today we'll take it over to the garage for an estimate. My hope is they can pound it out and reconnect the bumper so it can pass inspection... That's all she needs. It's a beater!

As I drove home I thought about how I'm going away this weekend and leaving the girls on their own for two nights and I thought "Why Does it Always Happen to ME?!" and I has to laugh. I have to let them figure it out - hope they don't hurt themselves in the process, and navigate the waters... I can't be with them 24/7. This is my job now - to back off.


2 comments:

Enz said...

LIfe is one huge learning lesson. It's so hard to let go. My youngest is 20 and I am finding it so hard, the first one seemed easy!

Thankfully no one was hurt in the accident.

Anonymous said...

Wow, really calm, cool response, I'm so impressed!

If it helps at all, I have a great friend I've known for 35 years. This happened to her, herself, her own forgetfulness to do the parking brake, when we were in our 20's. Not to scare you, LOL but for my friend, it did happen more than once! Which was crazy, because it was in her own carport, and the car rolled down her driveway, across the street (!) and into the neighbor's house. I've never heard of this happening to anyone else, so thanks for sharing. We were all just thankful no one was hurt, as that would have been easy to have happen. And ... your daughter shouldn't feel so bad, it happens. Hope the lesson sticks! And hope she takes a lesson from how coolly Mom responded, I know I will (or try to, anyway LOL). Cheers and enjoy your weekend away.