Monday, November 13, 2017

The Easiest, Yummiest Butternut Squash Soup

This is a combination of many different recipes morphed into my own special soup.

The ingredients:

1 butternut squash peeled, cut into cubes (the grocery store does a great job with this!)
1 small onion diced
2 stalks celery diced (the grocery store also does a great job with this!)
1 medium peeled potato - the starchier type
1 medium apple - a sweeter variety- peeled, cut up
32 ounces chicken stock or chicken broth
olive oil

1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2  teaspoon ground black pepper
2 bay leaves

Saute onions and celery in olive oil until soft in the bottom of a soup pan. Add the stock, squash, potato, apple and all spices. Simmer on 3-4 until potato is soft (it seems to take the longest to cook)
Cover and let sit on low for as long as you need. Remove the bay leaves and puree with an emulsion blender.

That's it. SO GOOD. If I'm serving to impress - I'll add toasted pumpkin seeds, more ground pepper and salt. (I love salt). My kids will put a few croutons on top. It really is delicious; especially if you like squash!

The weekend was mixed. I ate some stupid store bought cookies (4) after refusing ice cream and other treats...  I ran / walked a shorter hill course with the girls Saturday and raked up the yard yesterday. I'm scheduling Tuesday, candlelight yoga. Wednesday will be my return to WW and we'll see if I've lost any weight. No games, no weird eating patternes, real food, better attention to portions...

3 comments:

Enz said...

This sounds awesome. I'm stealing it :) I have some leftover squash from dinner on the weekend so I can make soup for two tonight! Thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

Candlelight yoga is so relaxing.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for the recipe! And yay for at least all the physical activity and the dietary "no, thank you"'s that you DID achieve. That counts!