Friday, March 16, 2018

The SNOW

The snow has trashed my intentions this week. I hate it so much. To be trapped all day Tuesday and part of Wednesday, not be able to walk without risk or get to the gym; sigh.

Taxes, laundry and movies. Slugfest.

And I got to yoga Wednesday and will go again tonight. I will spin Sunday morning.

And I've been experimenting with my thyroid medication... as in not taking it for 10 days.  Why you ask? It didn't start intentionally, but then I decided to push it out to see how I felt. It's been a number of years since my diagnosis of Hashimotos/Hypothyroidism and a number med increases. Is this stuff actually working, because I've been feeling really flat emotionally and gaining weight and craving SUGAR.

After 10 days, I restarted levothyroxine.

The biggest things I noticed are:
  • HOT FLASHES - many many hot flashes, day and night
  • CRAVINGS - mostly for sugar, but I've also had rice and bread
  • IRRITABILITY - like almost becoming unhinged on the guy that plows our street, or freaking out on the kids for dirty dishes, or letting the DH's *issues* overwhelm me.
  • SPOTTING - when I haven't had a period in years (IUD - TMI)
  • A LOT OF HAIR in the tub or on the floor after I blow dry... a comical amount!
  • WAKING UP and not being able to fall back asleep until it's actually time to get up
  • EXHAUSTION, bordering narcolepsy from 2-5 everyday -  I just can't keep my eyes open! 
I think it's the last thing that really sparked the memories from when I was first diagnosed - being so inexplicably tired. It's no way to live.

The timing of this experiment coincided with a seminar on "achieving healthy hormones" given at my yoga studio. The woman was a "nutritional therapist" who primarily works with auto-immune diseases like MS, Hashimotos, Rheumatoid Arthritis... A lot of what she said I already encountered in my own research. Cut out dairy or stick to reputable organic suppliers and strictly limit. Eat good protein, stay away from soy products, gluten, and all processed sugar. One new thing she said about hydration - you need half your weight in ounces of water each day... for me about 12.5 8oz glassess.... Something to shoot for...

The ultimate takeaway was "change your diet, change your life". Something else I already knew, but needed the kick in the butt to actually START. I had a near perfect day yesterday and I'm working on a second. I'm trying to be MINDFUL. I'm trying to ask myself some questions before I eat what I think I want. I'm trying... I'm doing.... 

2 comments:

Enz said...

You had those symptoms when you went back on it? I wonder if you'r over medicated? That happens to me when I lose weight and then they adjust my Synthroid down and it makes a world of difference.

I had stopped taking it for about 2 weeks during my tooth debacle and I was fine the first few days and the biggest thing I noticed was the overwhelming fatigue that disappeared when I went back on it after a few days.

Our bodies are not all fine tuned machines and I don't think they all respond the way textbooks say they should.

But I know for sure that sugar and flour are my worst enemies.

Lynne said...

Yes, I was feeling bad before I went off - hence - the "Is this really working experiment" The malaise, etc was when I was still on it - but not the other stuff... After a week off - BAM! Since the restart has only been a few days I can't say if the symptoms have all subsided ... we'll see... I go back to my endo in June so I'll see some numbers and adjust (again) as needed... I need some acceptance, but I also think FOOD - sugar, gluten are not my friends.