Tuesday, May 08, 2018

I think I’m feeling my age.


This weekend I thoughtfully weeded my gardens. I was careful to bend at knees to not strain my back. I lightly raked, and enlisted the help of the girls to get as much accomplished in their promised hour, which expired exactly on the hour…

I ran laundry up and down stairs mindful of my posture and footing.

Yesterday I wore 2 inch heels to work. They were actually comfortable for all day wear.

This morning as I made my way downstairs and outside with the dog I felt aches and pains all over… In my lower back and calves from the shoes, in my hands and wrists from pulling ivy and weeds, my lower back from light raking. I’m not complaining, just acknowledging what is and wondering if there’s something I can do (aside from not doing the things I must to keep the household functioning).

Weight training, gentle yoga/flow/restorative – no YIN- all possibilities.

Aside from the scale I don’t see a difference in my body yet, though after my next weigh in at the doctor (9 days to go) I’m going to take some photos and update my measurements in MFP and share. We had pictures taken during Girls Weekend just days before my first April 3 doctor’s appointment – my DAY 1. I absolutely love my friends and totally embrace the happiness I felt that day, but as far as photos of me go – they are cringe-worthy; so of course they’ll be my “official” before shots… 

I’m looking forward to a noticeable photo comparison.   I’m working hard to lose this weight and although it is for my health; I can’t ignore that it's also for my mental well-being.

4 comments:

Enz said...

Mental AND physical health are equally important.

I notice I ache more when I wake up in the morning and hot showers have become my best friend on the days it feels like my limbs are filled with concrete.

Getting older, for sure, plays a part but I think the more active we stay, the easier it will be.

*My Stalker Is Fat* said...

I have been doing a lot of yard work lately, and I can barely move the next day! I remember spending all day working in the yard when I was in my 20's and not feeling a thing. Those days are long over!

Anonymous said...

Just to respond if there's something you can do ... from my training as a yoga instructor and also group exercise instructor - first try to isolate if these are muscle pains, or joint pains. Muscle pains are a-ok! Stretching may help - after exercise, when you feel the aches, etc. Calf stretches today, wrist stretches, standing or seated forward folds for low back, side bends, and maybe gentle twists (only to the point of no pain!).
If it's a JOINT pain (as compared to muscle pain) - my instructor training says - STOP! When you feel joint pain! Go no further. My nutrition research tells me that joint pain is often caused/exacerbated by grains, which are known to be highly inflammatory. If you are still eating grains, cutting those out, or back, may help.
Hope this helps!

Nixpix said...

Two things that will help a lot. Take a bath in Epsom Salt. Two cups of Epsom salt and soak 20 mins. It has magnesium in it and its wonderful for sore muscles. I also take turmuric every day. That is another thing that will help with sore muscles and inflammation as we age.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=epsom%20salt%20bath%20benefits&pc=cosp&ptag=G6C48N1251D010418A316A5D3C6E&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127